Ice Fish Ohio Forum

Good Ice Within a Days Drive?????

erierider · 14 · 10228

erierider

• Global Moderator
  • I have a Chubby!
    • View Profile
Well after a weekend of much needed R and R and zero ice fishing, ice is offically unsafe in Ohio. What a season, Again!!
Anyways, what's everyone take on ice in the surrounding states within a 6 to 8 hour drive of Cleveland??
Got out for a few hours at the first ice and that is it. Anyone have a report on where there maybe some good ice, at least 6 plus??
racking my brain, I could not come up with much so I turn to IFO for some input.
Ice Fish Ohio
Pro Staff
Team Dreamweaver Spoons
Orange Crush Reef Runner Troller

mitch131

• PRO STAFF
  • there always next year
    • View Profile
upper part of michigan had good ice i dont know what kind of weather they are have now i might go up the end of feb if they still have good ice
marcum
strikemaster
jammin jigs
artic armour

OhioFisher19

• Global Moderator
  • More Fishin' Less Talkin'
    • View Profile
    • Ohio Outdoors
Shouldn't take you but maybe an hour or so into michigan. I was on 6in. or better all weekend. Wamplers, devils, vineyard, clear, bear lakes... should all have safe ice
« Last Edit: January 29, 2013, 01:00:16 PM by erierider »
TEAM IFO Pro Staff
CYA On The Water,
Capt. Jonny Fickert
 "Fishing and Fun with Jonny Fickert"

erierider

• Global Moderator
  • I have a Chubby!
    • View Profile
Sweet! Johnny may have to run into you up there. Whats a decent yellow perch lake. Also got your PM over the weekend. Hope your car trouble is fixed. If you need a ride maybe we can make space for you in the back of the truck.
Do you know if there is a local site for conditions on those lakes. Tried Ice Shanty but do not really know that area so all the locations they list might as well be in Alabama.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2013, 01:08:16 PM by erierider »
Ice Fish Ohio
Pro Staff
Team Dreamweaver Spoons

OhioFisher19

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Ohio Outdoors
I have never found a place to consistently catch perch. Saginaw bay is good not sure of ice there. Michigan sportsman and ice shanty are good places to check, if you call knutsons bait shop they are helpful too and are a nice shop!
Truck is fixed, will be back in the area saturday morning!
TEAM IFO Pro Staff
CYA On The Water,
Capt. Jonny Fickert

erierider

• Global Moderator
  • I have a Chubby!
    • View Profile
Talked to franks today in linwood. Said guys were getting up to 8 miles out on the bay on 8 to 12 inches. His concern now he said for the bay was that the rivers would be ice free and cause more ice melting. Also said there is a ton of water on the ice now.
Stated thought conditions would get better by weekend and to call back later in the week when there is a clearer picture. Said he thought only snowmobiles would be getting out bc of the pressure cracks and the potential of them opening up. Fished up there a couple times in 2008 and its really cool. But for whatever reason the bay does get alot of pressure cracks.
Ice Fish Ohio
Pro Staff
Team Dreamweaver Spoons

OhioFisher19

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Ohio Outdoors
I am surprised they had that much, I thought they fished shallow in like 4ft and it wasn't bad. I wouldn't mind getting the sled out and making a long drive out! If I knew it was pretty safe but with all that current up there I can't see how it could be!
TEAM IFO Pro Staff
CYA On The Water,
Capt. Jonny Fickert

erierider

• Global Moderator
  • I have a Chubby!
    • View Profile
We know someone up in the area or I would never go it alone. Remember last time we went out up there it was blowing pretty good and alot of pressure cracks. Me and my bro were on one sled and bud on another. We get back in to the pressure cracks only to find one opening up. He goes up and down the shoreline and cants find a good place to cross. Says watch me, when you do this get up to about 25 and follow in my path, backs up and rips across the crack. we proceed to do the same without issue but as we cross, I am the passenger and look down and can see the crack open. Not the most pleasant feeling but pretty cool once on the other side.
From that day on, we decided if we are fishing Saginaw we are only going with someone who know the bay. Alot of pressure crack and crazy little things happen on that body of water.
I am calling Frank's in a bit and will see what the word is for the weekend up there. ER
Ice Fish Ohio
Pro Staff
Team Dreamweaver Spoons

erierider

• Global Moderator
  • I have a Chubby!
    • View Profile
Jonny,
Here is the most recent report from up there.http://www.franksgreatoutdoors.com/captain-andy/ called up there and some guys are going out fron the linwood area today but no reliable reports yet.
Possibly a better report tonight but there was some damage on from this warm up but nothing like we experienced.
Said that above report link was a little old but guys are getting out today but not sure how far.
Ice Fish Ohio
Pro Staff
Team Dreamweaver Spoons

OhioFisher19

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Ohio Outdoors
Ya its just like here at home with ice you have to expect cracks. Luckily the snowmobile helps if those try to cause some problems. I will check those out but I think we are just going to poke around the irish hills again this weekend.
TEAM IFO Pro Staff
CYA On The Water,
Capt. Jonny Fickert

fishingful

• View Profile
If anyone gets fresh reports from Saginaw bay please post. We are thinking about driving up and taking the airboat out this Sunday. Never been there before. I have been checking everyplace for reports. Hopefully the ice is good. If not we are heading to Houghton lake.

erierider

• Global Moderator
  • I have a Chubby!
    • View Profile
Ful,
Sent you a message with some info. Please let me know if it came through either way. Dave
Ice Fish Ohio
Pro Staff
Team Dreamweaver Spoons

Duuber

• View Profile
http://www.michigansnowcams.com/webcams/houghton_lake.htm

Live web cam on Houghton Lake.

Click onto the right cam and you can see some shantys out this morning.

Born to Fish - Forced to Work

OhioFisher19

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Ohio Outdoors
Finally found a lake yesterday with good ice (Devils Lake). Most had open spots but we were on 6in. Fishing was horrible 1 pike & 1 bluegill. Marked fish all day but could not get them to go on anything!
TEAM IFO Pro Staff
CYA On The Water,
Capt. Jonny Fickert

Vexilar