Ice Fish Ohio Forum

Nimisila Report Tues 02/05/2013

icebucketjohn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
First time out this season! Fished Nimisila (C5) with Ronnie from 9am-430pm on Tuesday 2/5/2013. Fished only 1/2 the bay (Western & Northern) b/c the ice was only 2 - 2 1/2in thick with slush & snow on top. In truth, ice conditions were treacherous and unsafe. Ice was cracking beneath our feet. We did not stand together at any point. We fished 5-6ft of water. Pools of water were around us as well, but we weren't stupid and took plenty of safety gear along with me wearing my Artic Armour Float Suit.

Bite was very slow, but we managed to take home a dozen nice crappie. All appeared to be from the same year class, all over 10". Catch to keeper ratio was phenomenal. I think we only threw back 3 or 4 undersize, under-limit crappie. First time catching more crappie than blue gill and more keepers than throw-backs. Only caught a handful of gills... all dinks.

All the fish were holding tight to the bottom within the weeds and had to be coaxed out of the weeds to bite.We saw very few fish "cruising" with our Vex's. I caught the majority of the crappie on a mini-jigging rapala... silver with red color. Ronnie got his on a Cicada. None were tipped with any live bait.

Nice, healthy fish. Beautiful coloration & fin development. No parasites or cysts in the flesh.
We Ice Fisherman are all highly addicted, shivering psychotic patients in the frozen asylum of the frigid"

Luvztaphish

• Please help keep our waterways clean .
    • View Profile
Sounds like a day of pushing your luck on unsafe ice .

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Nice catch!  He careful, sounds like the kind of stuff I do! :D ;D
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

white ice

• View Profile
Good way to get people wet.  At least you didn't post the same report on all the other sites....   ::)

snowcone

• Global Moderator
  • here fishey
    • View Profile
thnxs for sharing  8) sounds like a good fish catch ;D  i can say i hope my next outing is that good /..... :D
the time you spend fishing cannot be deducted from your life...

futurestrader

• View Profile
    • Byrneinvest
Nice catch was that a size 1 or size 2 rapala?
Pro Staff Member
Fishing for panfish
Walleye on Erie
www.byrneinvest.com

Ntoiceman36

• Administrator
  • iceman cometh
    • View Profile
Glad you survived to talk about it,those nimi gills must be delicious to fish 2"  cracking I've!
DIRECTOR NE OHIO PAN FISH SERIES
PRO STAFF ICE FISH OHIO

MDBuckeye

• View Profile
Not a bad looking batch of specks.
I'm most likely done for the season unless there's another round of ice after this warm up.  :(

OhioFisher19

• Global Moderator
  • More Fishin' Less Talkin'
    • View Profile
    • Ohio Outdoors
Catchin is always good. I love me some crappies!
TEAM IFO Pro Staff
CYA On The Water,
Capt. Jonny Fickert
 "Fishing and Fun with Jonny Fickert"

Vexilar