Ice Fish Ohio Forum

What's the history of ice fishing, in Ohio?

Bowhunter57

• View Profile
I started ice fishing in 2010 and it was a great year for a beginner. That year I purchased a Cabelas Ice Shelter, which is VERY nice. Among my many ice fishing purchases was a 6" Eskimo auger, a tackle pack of jigs, 1 rod & reel, a Sheppell Jet Sled and a 12 lb. spud bar.

I've had my share of fun, but since last year's "global warming trend" and this year's freeze/melt season, I'm wondering what's the likelyhood of my continuing to ice fish. I'm actually thinking of setting all this stuff up, taking some pics and selling it. :-\

My question, since I've not paid that much attention to how much ice fishing is available in past years... ???

How much ice fishing is available, on the average?
 Is it worth keep the gear around for a couple weeks or days of fishing?

Your thoughts and opinions are appreciated.
 Thank you, Bowhunter57
George Washington did not use his right to free speech to defeat the British...he shot them.

coreymon

a long time ago, people used to be able to drive a car on the ice to put-in-bay. for me, that fact alone, points to long term change. but i still hope for ice.

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Last two years are abnormal.  Keep your gear, the ice will come!
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

DEEP FREZZE

• View Profile
REMEMBER WHEN I was a kid having a shanty on Indian lake all winter long this was in the 70's. It seems that the ice fishing season have got shorter ever year after. If you enjoy ice fishing I would hang onto your stuff its not costing you anything. About time you get rid of we will have a month of good ice.  Good luck

Luvztaphish

• Please help keep our waterways clean .
    • View Profile
 ;D. The last two years were Abby Normal.  ;D. If you love ice fishing then keep your gear . Selling your gear would cost you money because you would take a loss.If you don't love it then sell it and take up needlepoint .  :-\

pig puncher

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
i don't remember when i started, late '70's, maybe early '80's. we had a pond that froze every winter. i taped a broken rod to a piece of broom handle with 2 bent nails to wrap line on. chopped holes with an ax. got an auger, thought i had it made. i started fishing shreve lake, and there were plywood shantys people left on the bank. they had signs on them ok to use, just drag off the lake. seems we always had a week, 10 days of sub zero weather, then it would warm up enough to fish ;D.
 seasons came and went, some were long, some were as short as a weekend, but as far as i remember i always got to get on the ice.
 the '09-2000 season was one of the best i remember. over a foot of ice, clear into march. got a flip over shanty that year. went to 3 day weekends at work, and i REALLY had it made. ;D then came internet, and i got a vex, and on line shopping for things that new technology has came up with, and it just keeps getting better for fishermen, but the weather stinks. if you love to ice fish as much as i do, keep your gear. it doesn't cost you once you have it, and would cost you twice as much to replace it. hop this helps.

Jakeesspoo

• View Profile
You know why I have so much "crap"?  Because once I buy something it's now here and paid for.  I always figure it's not eating any hay sitting here so why get rid of it it's bought and paid for.   On the rare occasion that I do get rid of something I swear that I want it back in no time,or tell myself that at least.   My ice fishing equipment is one of my most prized possessions with some equipment coming from my great grandpas.   If ou have had fun ice fishing then keep the equipment.  The seasons do seem to be getting shorter. Global warming?  It sure is hard to dismiss that this could be a cause but that's a whole other discussion there.    I figure being that there have only been maybe a few hundred years of actual good recorded weather history and that the planet is millions of years old its hard to say what's in store.   I don't want to go back into a ice age (though it seems I would be well prepared) but I don't want to see the sea levels rise 20 feet either.   It is what it is at this point but to be on the safe side tell the old lady to stop buying the aqua net hairspray...

snowcone

• Global Moderator
  • here fishey
    • View Profile
dont sell your stuff  :-\  you have it so you can enjoy it, but if you  dont have it  thats when you will want it and you will be bummin  :P  these days its to hard to replace......
the time you spend fishing cannot be deducted from your life...

Bowhunter57

• View Profile
Well, I have to agree with you guys...about keeping my ice fishing gear. It ain't eatin' nothing, so I'm going to put it back in the attic until next winter. :)

Now...I need to get back on the treadmill and keep hitting the free weights, so that I'm ready when the waters open up and I can get my kayak back on the water. 8)

Bowhunter57
George Washington did not use his right to free speech to defeat the British...he shot them.

snowcone

• Global Moderator
  • here fishey
    • View Profile
yep just got my waders out today hoping for the excellent wally run  ;D ;D ;D
the time you spend fishing cannot be deducted from your life...

futurestrader

• View Profile
    • Byrneinvest
Man I remember taking my dad off Catwaba State Park on Erie and we drilled a hole 36" to get through the ice.  These last two years are abnormal what we need is 3 or 4 days of sub zero lows and it would all be good to go.  Maybe next year.
Pro Staff Member
Fishing for panfish
Walleye on Erie
www.byrneinvest.com

Vexilar