Ice Fish Ohio Forum

A Camera or A flasher

Poll

If you could only pack one electronic which would you choose?

A Camera
4 (15.4%)
A Flasher
17 (65.4%)
Thats just mean to limit me
5 (19.2%)

Total Members Voted: 26

swedish nipple

• just like fishining out of a barrell
    • View Profile
Well I have owned a camera for years. I just bought a flasher this year bit have used a friends many times. This is a tough question to ask myself. I have learned many things by actually being able to see what is going on under the water. I have also learned many things about structure and how it reads on a flasher by using my camera that being said. I would expect many more votes to register for flashers as this is the most common electronic on the hard water. But that is why this is a poll for all us ice junkies to post our vote and  voice our opinions. Aren't polls great.
Spencer Lake, Wellington, Willard, Chippewa, Oberlin

quackpot

• View Profile
I own two of each and without a doubt the vex will not be left behind. I just got the second camera and it's color so it may be close.

Nwohioiceman123

• View Profile
The thing with a camera if it is dirty water it is almost pointless.

Ntoiceman36

• Administrator
  • iceman cometh
    • View Profile
Having a sonar and fully understanding how to use it and dial it in is much better and fisherman friendly,a camera is unique in it's own way but light and water clarity and other underwater factors can limit it's use.just my opinion.
DIRECTOR NE OHIO PAN FISH SERIES
PRO STAFF ICE FISH OHIO

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
 I routinely use both, I never hit the ice with just one.  I start with the flasher to find fish, as a flasher is much more quick and mobile.  I usually start my fishing by drilling 30 holes, then checking them with the flasher.  A camera is much too slow for this kind of fishing.  Once I've found the fish, I put my camera down to watch how the fish are reacting to my presentation.  Then I can fine tune to get more fish on the ice.  That said, if I had to choose only one, I'd pick a flasher, its more versatile.
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

Luvztaphish

• Please help keep our waterways clean .
    • View Profile
 :D. Flasher hands down . The camera has too many limitations . I'll leave my camera at home but never my Flasher.

swedish nipple

• just like fishining out of a barrell
    • View Profile
Very well put slab. When I was 21 I bought a camera. Mainly because it was new and hot. Also because I truly wanted to learn the lakes I fished along with how the fish reacted and there staging areas throughout the course of an ice season. A lot of the lakes I hit, the fish react the same and are in close proximity of where they were in a similar situation to previous seasons. Now ten years later I bought a vex, got to use it off a dock for about 45 mins and man will it put fish in the bucket. So my thought is, if you want to really learn the fish and the lake, take the camera. If you wanna eat, which I am a big fan of take the vex.
If I could only take one, I would take the vex and my daughter would take the camera, because she is three and loves to see the fish on the screen  ;D That is how you make it a win win ;)
Spencer Lake, Wellington, Willard, Chippewa, Oberlin

fryguy

• View Profile
The only reason I need a camera is because I already have 2 flashers and my Dad said he wants one.He uses one of my flashers when we're out which is why I bought the second one. Now if I buy the camera and give it to him the wife doesn't get so upset.and she understands I take care pf all his ice gear. By the way Dad just turned 78 and I had to sneak out the 1st trip this year to make sure Ice was really good.

toadfish

• View Profile
My .02 would be a flasher.  I do not have a camera but have used one with a friend.  They are pretty worthless in the dirty waters I usually fish in and visibility is not enough to tell what is going on beneath the ice.  You also have to deal with the cord and have the danger of a fish wrapping around it.

I have sight fished and think all ice fisherman should do this to understand what the flasher is telling you.  It is also nice to see how your actions make you lure react.

I will not spend much time on the ice without my Vex.
Pro ice fisherman, amateur icefishing catcherman.

Minnowhead

• View Profile
I've got both a Cabelas camera and a Vexilar.  And while I agree that in stained water, a camera is very limited...I will always use a camera where and when possible. I have learned 10 times more about what is and what isn't going on under the ice with my camera.  If the water permits the use of a camera, then my Vex only comes on to check the depth. If the water is murky or the camera fuzzs out as the sun sets, I will go to my Vexilar.
Throwing ice cubes in the lake all summer long!

futurestrader

• View Profile
    • Byrneinvest
A camera is very nice in clear water but a VEX works anywhere!
Pro Staff Member
Fishing for panfish
Walleye on Erie
www.byrneinvest.com

Tin Guppy

• View Profile
I have had a vex for 8-10 years and would not be without it. A couple of weeks ago I got a lx3 but have not had good ice to try it out, I tryed it off the docks at CJ a couple of times. I also have had a camera for 5-6 years and it helped me get my first saugeyes on the ice by watching how they reactated. Would not go without the flasher.

Vexilar