Ice Fish Ohio Forum

Sat and Sun on ice

joewallguy

• View Profile
Checked the ice on 2 golf course lakes I have permision to fish on Wed last week and no good bout the same ice as everywhere else. Got on tinkers sat with a friend and had some fun. Ice was 3.5" and i felt ok about it. We had ALL our safety stuff at hand and on and stayed smart. Think we both caught about 30 gills with half good size. I hole hopped up 2 bass and 1 crappie also. Had a good time with a good old ice fishing friend that I have not fished with much the past few years due to kids, life, no ice and so on. Really lived in the moment and enjoyed the ice fishing experience.  Sunday I had a party near my golf course. Hit up both lakes for 2 hrs real quick. Ice was solid 3.5" and not super great. I caught a doz gills at the big lake and hiked it way back to the other lake i never fished before. Caught 8 fish. All giant green sunfish. I think? At first i thought they were rock bass but after looking them up at home, i think they were green sunfish. They had a larger mouth, green iridecent in the chin area, and thick dark green bodys. Green sunfish right??? Anyway, i threw um back.  So,......it was great to get back on ice and enjoy it. Looks to me we will all get another go at it. I think the ice will stay for just a bit

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Those are definitely green sunfish. :D
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

futurestrader

• View Profile
    • Byrneinvest
I think what you caught is the elusive green gator gill.  Almost extinct so glad you threw them back.
Pro Staff Member
Fishing for panfish
Walleye on Erie
www.byrneinvest.com

Luvztaphish

• Please help keep our waterways clean .
    • View Profile
 ;D. Yes sir they were green sunfish !  Still unto catch and good on the table . Glad to hear of your good fortune .  ;D
« Last Edit: February 13, 2013, 07:48:58 PM by Luvztaphish »

snowcone

• Global Moderator
  • here fishey
    • View Profile
you know you will glow in the dark now :D  just kiddin 8)
the time you spend fishing cannot be deducted from your life...

joewallguy

• View Profile
Thats why i threw um back. Lake up front is big and in front of the course and  the upper elevation lake feeding the rest of the course. I will keep a few out of there but not to sure about the back lake. Wonder about the chemicals they might use. Guess i should ask Lary the owner about that

McMish

• View Profile
i was wondering that as well.

i saw a post from ODNR one year that said you should never eat a fish that gets run-off from golf courses.

the amount of chemicals that are used on that grass is staggering.

In my golf magazine it said you could not even put your cigar down on the grass its that bad.

but i guess it makes it way down into the water supply eventually and we all end of drinking it haha.

Mr Chomp

• View Profile
Green sunfish are extremely common and usually the first and last of the sunfish to inhabit shallow water that is almost too shallow for fish. You want to catch 1000 go to Rt 8 and fish the pond underneath Rt 8 at the Seasons Rd Exit. It's public. I park under the bridge but you need to jump a 6 inch curb

Vexilar