Ice Fish Ohio Forum

St Clair

ICE COLD

• View Profile
8 of us are headed to St Clair on Friday, can anyone give any tips? Where to fish, what with etc. Never been there before.

wballard77

• PRO STAFF
  • Wes Ballard
    • View Profile
Just came back, I fished Metro Beach <-- (best location) and cotton road and Fair Haven.
Stay Away from the Air Force base its thin. everywhere else was 6-8" but the ice was shifting and opened about 1.7 miles out
As for the the fish, find a clearing close to the weeds. You will catch fish! Go to a local bait shop and buy a beaded spoon (its a local thing) and dead stick a minnow.
Call ahead! these conditions change fast!
Ice Fish Ohio Pro Staff

futurestrader

• View Profile
    • Byrneinvest
Good Luck!
Pro Staff Member
Fishing for panfish
Walleye on Erie
www.byrneinvest.com

ICE COLD

• View Profile
wballard, is the metro beach near Geno's? Do we need a pass to fish there? Can you park at metro beach? Any info would help. None of us has ever been there. From what I see its mostly perch, any eyes or crappies? I know a lot of questions but been on some other sites and not a lot of help from them.

Banker

• Global Moderator
  • With God, All things are possible. Matthew 19:26
    • View Profile
    • www.iceprofromohio.com
I grew up fishing Lake St. Clair and their temps don't vary too much from ours here in Ohio. Be sure to place a call to Lakeside Bait Shop on 10 mile in St. Clair Shores before wasting the gas money to go up and fish open water. It's been warm here so chances are you will have to keep driving to get on ice up there.
Scott Albrecht
"Banker"
www.iceprofromohio.com

John 21:6 He said, "Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some."

OhioFisher19

• Global Moderator
  • More Fishin' Less Talkin'
    • View Profile
    • Ohio Outdoors
I wouldn't mind fishing some big water and making a day trip out of that! only a two hour drive!
TEAM IFO Pro Staff
CYA On The Water,
Capt. Jonny Fickert
 "Fishing and Fun with Jonny Fickert"

wballard77

• PRO STAFF
  • Wes Ballard
    • View Profile
Gino's is very close to metro. I park @ metro and pay the $5 its better than getting towed from Gino's.
Ice Fish Ohio Pro Staff

ICE COLD

• View Profile
Well we fished St clair over the weekend. Mixed results. Caught a lot of perch and gills but few keepers. Biggest perch was one about 12". The gills we caught were all palm sized. We fished Genos Friday and Saturday and Fair Haven on Monday. Saturday at Genos there had to be over a  thousand people fishing in that bay. It looked like a small town of shanties. Ice was 8" everywhere we fished and we went out quite a ways. At fair Haven they had us parking on the ice. ike a said alot of fish but small but at least it was good to get on the ice. The whole lake was covered with ice.

snowcone

• Global Moderator
  • here fishey
    • View Profile
so cool  ;D ;D ;D like i said its the adventure of the trip, or we wouldnt go....thats why i drive to far away spots...   what no cat fish ? :P
the time you spend fishing cannot be deducted from your life...

Ntoiceman36

• Administrator
  • iceman cometh
    • View Profile
Yea i love the long distance fishing trips,nothing like telling your ah.....stories to people who havent heard them or sharing some tips!
DIRECTOR NE OHIO PAN FISH SERIES
PRO STAFF ICE FISH OHIO

Vexilar