Ice Fish Ohio Forum

Did the season FLY by for you?

Banker · 5 · 3260

Banker

• Global Moderator
  • With God, All things are possible. Matthew 19:26
    • View Profile
    • www.iceprofromohio.com
With flies becoming more popular through the ice, I was wondering who from this forum experiement with this acient ice fishing technique and if it produced for them.

I fished a JB lure pink ant fly and noticed it would take a while to sink off the top of the water. Never got bit on it though.
Scott Albrecht
"Banker"
www.iceprofromohio.com

John 21:6 He said, "Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some."

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Absolutely, I'll use flies.  I tie all my own flies, and even had my wife smack one with a newspaper once.  ;D  That's when you know they look good!  ;D  All kidding aside, if my traditional panfish lures fail to produce, I'll go to a fly.  My first choice is an ant in size 22, super tiny.  I only carry 2 colors, black and cinnamon.  If all else fails, they normally always hit these.  Sometimes I'll tip it with a single spike.
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

Mr Chomp

• View Profile
Banker, I tried sending yo a private message with some esox tips but it wouldn't allow me. Please in box me and I'll send you something cool

buddachiefer

I used my flies over 50% of the time this year and I was pulling more fish than with anything else. I am going to make some streamers for next year, some larger ones for those monsters under the ice. Again like I said in another post, nothing like catching fish on something you made.

HardWater Junkie

• View Profile
    • Hale's Sinker Supply
Buddachiefer has it down on fishing with flies. Those small flies proved to be deadly on the ice. I'm kinda pissed I forgot to snag a couple from you before you left. They were definitely catching some fish. You should of stuck it out though. I ended up catching a dozen more nice keeper crappie after you left. They were average sized but a couple were real nice slabs. I knew it was on when the fish were on the bottom all day then about a half hr. after you left schools started to come thru about 5 ft. suspended off the bottom. My crappie expertise kicked in and I started bringing them up one after another. It took some convincing to get them to hit but if you jig it they will come, especially if your what your jigging glows. It was a great day out even though you out fished me. I'll just blame it on you having home field advantage. ;D To bad Im leaving for Florida or I would have to demand a rematch and I would have to show you how its really done instead of standing around half the day b.s.ing.
Tim Smith (HardWaterJunkie)

Check out www.HalesSinkerSupply.com for all of your fishing sinker needs. Over 15 different types of sinkers and jigs in sizes from 1/100oz. to 4 lb. Make sure to ask about our custom built rods. From ice-fishing to off-shore we build them all. Message me for quotes

Vexilar