Ice Fish Ohio Forum

Shallow Crappie in numbers at Alum

Banker · 2 · 2780

Banker

• Global Moderator
  • With God, All things are possible. Matthew 19:26
    • View Profile
    • www.iceprofromohio.com
I can't post the pics from my phone so I sent them to David to post for me.
I found a hot spot for Huge slabs today while scouting a familiar part of Alum Creek I Ice Fished with CRV once. Stuck to the bank...typical for "Banker" I had to rock climb down to the fallen tree trunk I spotted from a distance and with 6 minnows left from a previous outing starting fishing a ficious lil minnie glow firetiger and a plain hook and within seconds had an 11 incher on.

After two missed strikes (due to over excitement about my new spot) I was out of bait and had to improvise. I grabbed the only think in my box that somewhat resembles the minnows I was using and ended up fishing a black and silver PK spoon made by PK lures under a slip float so I could jig it vertically to give it the life like minnow twitch that made them bite real minnows in the first place.

Dude...if I didn't have to leave after one hour I wouldn't be typing this right now but would be filleting the biggest mess of crappies I have ever landed...one monster after another all off this same downed log.

Because I work full time and have a family to take care of I am going to give you my spot. From Chesire bait shop go south on Africa road till you reach the part where water is on both sides of the road and there are a bunch of no parking signs...park further down the road where there are no signs and walk down the Northwest corner of that four corner bridge to fish the north side west of the bridge. go about half way down on the north side using the trail through the woods and then climb down the steep embankment right at the only downed tree trunk before the bend. Fish South West of the trunk by about 5-7 feet with a black and silver PK Spoon on foot under a slip float and twitch that thing like it's going to have a heart attack with a couple of brief pauses to keep it life like.

If you don't catch fish it may be too late as the cold front will push fish off that shallower spot and back into the mid depths of the cove...but fear not..they will move back in when temps rise again as pre-spawn is among us despite what others may tell you 52 degrees is setup time baby!
Scott Albrecht
"Banker"
www.iceprofromohio.com

John 21:6 He said, "Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some."

snowcone

• Global Moderator
  • here fishey
    • View Profile
you da man
the time you spend fishing cannot be deducted from your life...

Vexilar