Ice Fish Ohio Forum

Fishing Castalia fish hatchery

ILfisher

• View Profile
The wife just won the lottery to fish at Castalia (her first entry).  We will be fishing the day before Thanksgiving.  Has anyone fished there and do you have any tips.  Thanks in advance.
Scott

Banker

• Global Moderator
  • With God, All things are possible. Matthew 19:26
    • View Profile
    • www.iceprofromohio.com
Absolutely
Short story - bring your ice  gear- panfish jigs like a ficious lil minnies in glow shiner works well on these fish tiped with a wax worm. I would use a monofilimant line no heavier than 6lb but with a company that has true 6lb test with a smaller diameter due to good technology..see Vicious Panfish Ice low vis Clear or Vicious Ultimate line in low vis green both come with the A.C.T. Technology which gives it very low memory, extremely low stretch, and high abrasion resistance.

Float 2 or 3 of these jigs under a slip bobber with split shots to keep the bobber low enough so the steelhead can't feel the weight of the bobber when they mouth it.

Fishing with Medium Light 6-7 foot rods will help you have the backbone to get the hook through the mouth of these fish but the finese tip to make the bobber dance in the stream.

Good luck! I have a 21 inch steelhead mounted on my wall from the above setup in this same body of water...I used to live a block away from Margaritaville (good place to check out while there)
Scott Albrecht
"Banker"
www.iceprofromohio.com

John 21:6 He said, "Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some."

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Congrats, hope you guys have an awesome time!!
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

fryguy

• View Profile
That is about the same time I went with my Father (77) last year. I also fished there with 4 children in 2005. With he kids we used bobbers and cheese,canned corn and worms. My father and I used Berkley Powerbaits, trout nuggets and can't remember the other.The weather was beautiful with the kids in the summer but nasty in the fall. Rained very hard all that night and into the morning.As soon as it let up we were casting out with small hooks tipped with the power bait and just enough split shot to cast. Before I could walk away my Dad said fish on. It only took 35 minutes to have are limit, all rainbows. Nothing special about are set up. Dad likes a light pole and light reel normally we fish 10lb test and that's what I had I think his was the same. They will tell you and show you on a map where the deeper holes are and that is where most fish are but they also will be in the stream.Hope this helps ,it was great time both times , Very special for me with my children an their friends then with Dad, also take a net you will want it for the big ones!

OhioFisher19

• Global Moderator
  • More Fishin' Less Talkin'
    • View Profile
    • Ohio Outdoors
That place is awesome. You can use anything and catch them. Just remember to pinch your barbs on your hooks so more fish come off ;) Once you catch your fish you have to leave
TEAM IFO Pro Staff
CYA On The Water,
Capt. Jonny Fickert
 "Fishing and Fun with Jonny Fickert"

Banker

• Global Moderator
  • With God, All things are possible. Matthew 19:26
    • View Profile
    • www.iceprofromohio.com
OhioFisher- great point about the barbless- never thought about it.
If you do catch a fish and are itching for more I know a ton of spots in that area- closest it across the street at Pond 7..just past Rt 2 on the left hand side driving West from the Hatchery. Drive down the dirt road about half way and you will see 2 downed trees on your left. Fish the second tree with minnows under a bobber 1 ft down and enjoy a great crappie bite bout this time of year FYI..there is a water snake nest right there and on colder spring days they are not as active but as it starts warming up they start to get upset and have actually chased me off that spot. FYI :) If that happens there is a good spot for bluegill on the left hand side across from the pull off where you can easily park- you have to follow the trail to get to the point that is closest to the east most island and fish on the NorthEast side of where that point jetties off. Big Gills in there caught on minnows under a bobber on ice jigs.
Scott Albrecht
"Banker"
www.iceprofromohio.com

John 21:6 He said, "Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some."

78bluestreak

• View Profile
yes fished there on the first lottery. 
very large older fish. strong taste when cooked.
would have preferred small trout, go to back pond area rather than stream.
don't fret about time limit, they jump out of the water.

newbie to this site.  saw bumper sticker in parking lot of rec baseball field in Strongsville.  black Escape.  thanks.

futurestrader

• View Profile
    • Byrneinvest
That was me I live in Strongsville but it is a black Mazda SUV.
Pro Staff Member
Fishing for panfish
Walleye on Erie
www.byrneinvest.com

ILfisher

• View Profile
Thanks for the info everyone. Going next week with Ratherbefishing ;D

ratherbefishing

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Illa is an expert with my steelhead rod. She practices about 3 times a week. We're going to use spawn sacks under slip bobbers. I'm taking the 3wt fly rod, but I think it's going to be too cold.
Good Fishin'

Ryan Kerns

Ice Fish Ohio Pro Staff
Vexilar Pro Staff
Clam Pro Staff

Ask me about:
Ice Safety
Vexilar Flashers
Lake St. Clair
Canadian Fishing
C.J. Brown
Indian Lake
Jason Mitchell Rods/Ice Armor by Clam
Panfish
Walleye
Saugeye

Optfish

• Trout from Antrim
    • View Profile
 :)have a  great time and good to hear someone I know can win on that lottery. tried last 6 years with Gary trying also, but still have not been successful at being drawn. Have great success Ryan and keep us posted

Vexilar