Ice Fish Ohio Forum

need some experience advice about night lights

fool4fish · 26 · 14807

Fisnfool

• View Profile
ordered a green l.e.d. submerseable light from broadway tackle in georgia,will post results after i receive it and give it a try,supposed to draw in plankton which draws in minnows which draws in fish,thats the theory anyhow.  ???

Green should be a good light.

I used green glow sticks and hung them just about a foot above the fish in the summer.  I'm not sure if a glow stick would work in cold water.

I'll check into the light you bought or make one up.  Several of these sealed in a plastic jar should do it. 

Posted the wrong link.  These are larger an brighter than the ones I posted. https://www.sparkfun.com/products/8861
« Last Edit: February 03, 2015, 11:59:50 AM by Fisnfool »
When fish are in schools, they sometimes take debate.

holehopper

• Thy seas are so great,and my boat is so small.
    • View Profile
now that sounds like a good plan,good luck to you. :)
I love sports,especially one I can do sitting down!                                                                          Freshwater Drum-Life Member                                                                      Trigger-X

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Those work in the summer. I have one too.
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

holehopper

• View Profile
my light is supposed to arrive today,so friday night the test begins.
I love sports,especially one I can do sitting down!                                                                          Freshwater Drum-Life Member                                                                      Trigger-X

fool4fish

• View Profile
so far both times i tried the hydraglo no action moved n used lanterns n i caught gills and crappie as late as 11p tues night with a full moon
It goes without saying if its anything worth doing might as well do it right

holehopper

• View Profile
used green submersible light friday night,3 of us fished around it,we ended up with about the same amount of fish that we get by not using it,so the jury is still out i guess,there are alot of variables to consider,but will try it again.

Green Pea

• View Profile
I have two flat lights that each have 24 round lenses that project light. I think I'll give them a try. Maybe sit them on each side of me a few feet away.

I'll post results as well. Cool thread.

Fishingoat

• View Profile
We hang a lantern from a rope under a bridge in the spring for crappie and fish around it so I would think it would work the same thru the ice.  I swear the light on my underwater camera scares them thought.  Would like to know the results of a long term trial.  Keep us posted. 
Born to fish.   No plan B.

Green Pea

• View Profile
Well I caught a decent amount of fish tonight... nothing real special but I finally got out of my funk.

The ice was definitely to washed out for me to venture on too so I fished from a dock. I laid each light flat on the ice about three feet on each side of me. It was still daylight when I put them on the ice. Maybe an hour before it got dark.

I used a small bright green jigging blade with white glow paint on the opposite side of the blade tipped with spikes. Some of the spike were dead and red colored. It seemed the more spikes I would add to the jig the better.

That color slowed down a bit so I switched to a Lindy toad in glow red and it worked. I wonder if the glowing jig seems more natural with light shinning into the water.

Anyhow I will try that again.

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Light or no light a glow jig makes all the difference after dark. It's all I use. One night a couple weeks ago I couldn't figure out why I quit catching crappie after dusk, then I remembered I forgot to switch to my glow jig. Put on a glow and instantly started getting crappies again.
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

fool4fish

• View Profile
slab i back it u up no matter if lantern lights or not glo has been good to me got me crappie 10pm on a hole i hit gill after gill i like the work ur putting in green pea will figure this all out soon
It goes without saying if its anything worth doing might as well do it right

Vexilar