Ice Fish Ohio Forum

Ice still good?

fowlweatherohio

• View Profile
I'm off tomorrow  was gonna try and fish. Any idea how thick thethick the ice is. Thanks

crv423

• Global Moderator
  • Catching is only half the fun!
    • View Profile
we had a good 6 to 7" with some iffy spots, make sure you spud
Pro Staff
IceFishOhio.com
Alum Creek, Buckeye lake guide

hoplovestofish

• View Profile
Was at Fairfield beach today at 4:00 PM. Got halfway across to the marsh and ran into a large amount of water on the ice. Thinking it was surface water I walked to it and upon checking it, the spud bar went right through the ice. Decided it was not worth continuing on. If you go, be extremely careful. Up to that spot there was 6 inches of clear ice. hop

bucknuts

• View Profile
Thanks for the report Hop. I will try to get out that way tomorrow afternoon and give another report.

E
Know our history or we are bound to repeat it!

hoplovestofish

• View Profile
Read on another site that someone went through at the area I described earlier, and had to be rescued.

bucknuts

• View Profile
I spoke to oe of the guys that assisted in the rescue at Fairfield Beach on Thursday. That man is lucky to be alive.

Keep your spikes with you at all times, spud your way out and have some type of flotation device. Don't loose your life over some fish. I'll get off my soap box now, but seriously be safe.

E
Know our history or we are bound to repeat it!

Downthehole

• View Profile
I spoke to oe of the guys that assisted in the rescue at Fairfield Beach on Thursday. That man is lucky to be alive.

Keep your spikes with you at all times, spud your way out and have some type of flotation device. Don't loose your life over some fish. I'll get off my soap box now, but seriously be safe.

E

I watched people coming onto the ice at Buckeye yesterday with no safety gear at all. The core group of guys I was fishing with had their gear; cleats, picks, chisels, life jackets, ice suits etc. I felt safer having mine with me but not totally safe. The majority of them were not fishing though. Seems to me that ice fishers are not generally the problem. It's others that see us and think it's safe to come on the ice....
Newbie to ice fishing but loving it!

real deal

• View Profile
Im originally from Michigan, ive ice fished hundreds of times. I want to ask everyone who ice fishes to watch aauron weibe of uncut anglings vid on u tube. Its a how to survive a fall through the ice. Ive went through twice myself and if u remember how to get out and where pics you have almost a 100 percent chance of making it out! It takes 25 mins guys toget severe hypothermia. Still be safe, and remember river ice fishing is the one that will kill you because of the current

g

• View Profile
I have taken the plunge myself, hated it. The main thing is to stay calm until the initial shock wears off and getting out is much easier. Be safe and always carry safety gear. You never know when you will need them.

Just reeleyez

• View Profile
No ice is ever safe. Think for the best but plan for the worst.

Vexilar