Ice Fish Ohio Forum

IFO Website Activity

icebucketjohn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
... Gotta say this season is the lowest amount of forum/website activity I've seen on IFO ever. Even during lean years of ice, it seemed there was more chatter and input. 
We Ice Fisherman are all highly addicted, shivering psychotic patients in the frozen asylum of the frigid"

holehopper

• Thy seas are so great,and my boat is so small.
    • View Profile
I think fisherman are reluctant to post when they have a off day(myself included)............ >:( >:( >:(
I love sports,especially one I can do sitting down!                                                                          Freshwater Drum-Life Member                                                                      Trigger-X

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
I kind of agree with Gary.  I’ve gotten a few nice crappie and bluegill, but if I wasn’t into the big bass this would be a kinda slow season for me.  I’ve heard similar reports from public water. A lot of guys are having slow bites or getting dinks.   
« Last Edit: January 30, 2018, 10:51:45 AM by slabslayer »
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

snowcone

• Global Moderator
  • here fishey
    • View Profile
I do agree , there doesn't seem to be the traffic like usual .  but , its been a couple of crummy years of ice , and a lot of folks I meet on the ice haven't heard of  IFO .. but I do thank everyone for sharing on here, goes for the days I cant get out I can at least see what others are doin..
the time you spend fishing cannot be deducted from your life...

Green Pea

• View Profile
I think FB is killing most sites like this. Honestly from what I see the information shared far outweighs what is posted here. Typically there are around 10 members here that post back and forth but it's more of a I'm going to be here kind of thing. On FB there are hundreds of people showing images of ice conditions, tackle, results and what not on a daily basis. I think perhaps it's because that site is more user friendly so to speak from a social media stand point.

Mudd Puppy

• View Profile
I look at the site a lot, but unfortunately don’t get out as much as I’d like to so really don’t have too much to post. Pretty new to ice fishing so I find the site very helpful, but I am not on FB.

Downthehole

• View Profile
It has to be up to us to keep IFO on the map. The welcome page shows we’ve had about the same new members introduce themselves as last year. A little too late this year but maybe next year we need to plan some more IFO “advertising” on the ice - flyers, stickers etc.

I’m part of a few FaceBook groups and the major difference to me is that FaceBook doesn’t have the same sense of community that IFO does. When we post here the responses are from folks we know or, eventually will get to know and meet. I think that’s important....
Newbie to ice fishing but loving it!

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
I agree.  The family sense here is what I like.  And we get to know and trust each other’s reports and we don’t drive a long way on a bogus report.  I’ve met some great friends through this site!
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

g

• View Profile
Agree with Andy and slab. I consider the people I have met and many I haven't met as family. I trust the reports and pointers that are posted here. I haven't gotten out as much this year since I got put on day shift from third shift, limits my Indian trips to weekends. Hope we get another round but I still enjoy the posts whether we get on the ice or not.

Ntoiceman36

• Administrator
  • iceman cometh
    • View Profile
 I've spent the last few hours in deep thought about this issue. I don't get involved with any social media outlets so I can't speak on them. What I can speak on is IFO because it has been a constant in my life for the last several years. This site is unique to say the least. We are only as good as our members, we have an amazing base of guys and girls that I look forward to hearing from each year. IFO has alot more to offer than people realize. To experience the true reach of this site and all we have to offer you can join us at the docks or our seminars or get togethers etc! I can't remember the last time Twitter had a get together at lake erie! We work hard to keep this site going and continuing to be great. We are more than a social network we are tangible, you can join us, ask question, share ideas, stories. Ice fish ohio can be anything you want it to be, just get involved! If we feel that the enthusiasm is down and we want to change that then let's work together and build, bring new members,plan get togethers,  get active in eventsmake suggestions. We are all ears!
DIRECTOR NE OHIO PAN FISH SERIES
PRO STAFF ICE FISH OHIO

fool4fish

• View Profile
I agree hard year ive never struggled so heavily in ohio,but this place has been a ghost town ive been on the fb site and sadly as i may say thats where fresh info is, im loyal i cut my teeth on this site, i like family n traditions passing it down. I fish every weekend there is ice n i check here n even pm guys but ive yet to fish fish with someone on ifo this year. This younger generation doesnt want to pay u respect n nicely ask for tips which....i may say depending on who u ask n how on here is a 50/50 chance someone even answers at all, as if u have to earn it n i dont mind.n feel i have but these people are just blunt when asking a flowing with responses and move on if you dont. I agree with one thing it is on us to do something about this if we wants the traditions of our family continue
It goes without saying if its anything worth doing might as well do it right

MDBuckeye

• View Profile
I personally have been on and off IFO the past several years.  One part of it was the lack of good ice.  The other part of it was kind of feeling like certain folks just wanted to show off catches and not share info on what they were catching on, how deep of water and conditions.  Showing off catches is a big part of what we do as fishermen but also sharing techniques and little things will help.  The Facebook crowd doesn't have that close knit feeling we have here sometimes.  Sure there is info out there and some sharing but it's not the same.  I've met a few great great guys from here and know there are many more that I haven't met but seem to be good all around people.

Good luck the rest of the season!

Downthehole

• View Profile
I just did my good deed for the day and posted our logo on a couple of FaceBook sites; Ohio Ice Fishing, Indian Lake Fishing. I suggest doing the same if you are members of different groups on FaceBook....

Andy
Newbie to ice fishing but loving it!

Green Pea

• View Profile
I completely agree that this site has a family feel to it. When I first started to try and learn about ice fishing this is where I came. At that time there was an effort being put together to submerge fish habitat's at CJ Brown which is ten minutes from where I live. I kind of just read what was being posted and became familiar with the tone of the regulars. Once the ice season started I felt comfortable asking newbie questions and was always treated kindly.

What I like here is the old school feel it has. For me that is it's best attribute.

30inthabucket

• Ice fishing calls... I answer
    • View Profile
I don't have Facebook and this site is where I go for my ice/ fishing reports. From my first season 4 years ago I have found a lot of the guys on this site to be extremely helpful. They have taught me a lot and I've made some good friends along the way. We might not have the number of people on this site but that's not necessarily a bad thing. I trust that the info i get here is accurate especially regarding ice conditions. I appreciate the guys that keep this site going and look forward to using it for many years

Vexilar