Ice Fish Ohio Forum

Nimi today 1/28

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Here’s a couple from today.
Crappies in about 21 feet, gills were in 5-7 feet.  All on Main St side. 
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

FishLaughAtMe

• View Profile
Crappies in the basins. Thanks.  Might head out there tomorrow if I can pry the truck away from wifey.

snowcone

• Global Moderator
  • here fishey
    • View Profile
go get em  buddy,,  hahah   did ya try  that spot we fish  by the gas well  ?   
the time you spend fishing cannot be deducted from your life...

slabslayer

• Administrator
    • View Profile
No I didn’t.   There was one shanty about halfway out to it.   I didn’t trust the ice honestly.   It’s really crazy year.   I was only on 2 3/4” at the channel in 22 feet out from S Main ramp and didn’t want to chance that walk with nobody else on the lake.   Thinking about hitting it Monday if the storm isn’t too bad.   Should freeze good by then. 
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

FishLaughAtMe

• View Profile
Yeah about 4 to 5 I'm guessing with the ice. Not much with any size being caught though, at least no one I chatted with. But people seemed happy just to get out and drill a hole and wet a line. Don't know what's going to happen if these weather people are right towards the end of this week, not a real solid base to work with. Quite a few people out at Nimi today and at Old State park(Eddies was out of bait so ran up there).

Dave_E

• View Profile
I met FishLaughAtMe in the parking lot and fished with him for a little while.
Nice meeting you!

I also caught a few small perch and gills.

I stayed a few hours after he left.  There was about a 20 -30 min time right before dark where I marked tons of fish and the little perch went on a feeding frenzy, then it shut down completely.

I drove around Nimi yesterday.  East and North sides looked very sketchy and this snow isn't gonna help it.

icebucketjohn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
I agree with Dave. The snow on the ice makes reading & sensing the ice much more difficult.  I don't care for it at all.
We Ice Fisherman are all highly addicted, shivering psychotic patients in the frozen asylum of the frigid"

FishLaughAtMe

• View Profile
Yeah was nice meeting and fishing with you to Dave, I should have gotten your info before I left but I'll pm. I did go and get a new battery for the depth finder, never really know how much you rely on those until you either forget it or your battery decides life would be better in a recycle bin. Wife needs my ride today so I'm hoping to get out tomorrow,  will hit Nimi and give a report.  With all of those dink perch, somewhere down the road they have to grow up and be eating size. Be safe everyone.

FishLaughAtMe

• View Profile
Thinking about going to Nimi tomorrow,  any news on the ice? Maybe I'll start another ice report.

slabslayer

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Heard it was kind of slushy and a soggy drag out.   I didn’t feel like having to deal with that, so I decided to Split wood today instead. And with a little bit warmer temperatures the next couple of days, I’m going to wait until Monday morning. I just don’t feel like dragging around through several inches of slush. It up this weekend, and we should have 2 to 3 new inches of ice by Monday morning.  I’ll be out first light Monday. 

Team Wilcraft!

FishLaughAtMe

• View Profile
Ice has been good wherever I've trotted out to so far. Talked with a warden on Thur and he has been fishing the northern end but said it was only about 3 inches. Been cold though so hopefully it's made a extra inch. But I've seen people everywhere on Nimi that you can see from the Main st parking lot. The warden did say that you cannot park at the ramp at the campgrounds, just FYI.

slabslayer

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Thank you for that!   That’s weird, I’ve parked at the campground a ton and chatted with rangers and they’ve never told me not to park there.  Oh well, I won’t be there this winter anyway with the low water. 

Team Wilcraft!

FishLaughAtMe

• View Profile
Did see someone parked there at the ramp on Thursday and seen a blue flip over that was fishing around the right from the ramp, but that was a while after the warden left. Will be going out on Sunday,  weather girl says it's supposed to be colder. Nice to be able to get out. 

Dave_E

• View Profile
FishLaughtAtMe is right.

We talked with Officer Brown.  He is a helpful and informational officer.  A great resource for us.

He explained that Div3 considered opening the campground lot for hardwater.  When they opened the campground to winter campers, they didn't want the campers to have to deal with all that traffic so they decided the lot is for campers only.

FishLaughAtMe

• View Profile
This is an easy one.  Went to Nimi and caught 3 dinks. There were a lot of people out there today.  Asked a couple of people and they didn't do any better.  Went down to the dam parking lot and talked to a guy who was leaving and he said that it wasn't any better for him there. Going back tomorrow and give it another shot.  Hope everyone had a better day than me.  And out across from the parking lot there's about 8 inches of ice.

Vexilar