Ice Fish Ohio Forum

*Hot Lure* Northland Fish Fry Minnow Trap

ratherbefishing

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
This is probably one of the most unique lures to come around in a long time, and I have received confirmation that it will be only be available at Bass Pro Shops Outdoor World in Toledo (Rossford), Ohio.

This is a blade style lure that not only draws the fish in with a heavy vibration, but also mimics baitfish of several different species with a killer design. Each one has what Northland's people refer to as, Live Forage HD Technology. It's basically a High Definition photo of a Perch, Minnow, Blue Gill, Shiner, Chub, etc. That is embossed onto a blade lure that has been die cut to match the exact shape of the prey. It's suitable for applications year-round.

They have been featured in In-Fisherman's Ice fishing edition as one of the breakout baits of 2010-11.
You can also see them right now on Northland's Website:
www.northlandtackle.com Look under the heading NEWS RELEASES in the left hand column. :o
Good Fishin'

Ryan Kerns

Ice Fish Ohio Pro Staff
Vexilar Pro Staff
Clam Pro Staff

Ask me about:
Ice Safety
Vexilar Flashers
Lake St. Clair
Canadian Fishing
C.J. Brown
Indian Lake
Jason Mitchell Rods/Ice Armor by Clam
Panfish
Walleye
Saugeye

davek

• Dave Brett Dan
    • View Profile

ratherbefishing

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Moxie Minnow has the same visual appeal, but it fishes more like a Swedish Pimple or Buckshot Minnow.
The Fish Fry Minnow Trap is a blade bait, more along the lines of a Vib'e' or Cicada.
It's not to be confused with the Mimic Minnow, which has a solid minnow-shaped head and a plastic replacable body.
Good Fishin'

Ryan Kerns

Ice Fish Ohio Pro Staff
Vexilar Pro Staff
Clam Pro Staff

Ask me about:
Ice Safety
Vexilar Flashers
Lake St. Clair
Canadian Fishing
C.J. Brown
Indian Lake
Panfish
Walleye
Saugeye

davidhoheisel

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Great Lakes Largemouth Series
Its on the left side of the web pge under news relaeses. There is a few of them. It looks like the moxie minnow id like a swedish pimple and the other like a vibe but it does not look like it has the vibration. Mabe like a jigging rappala. We will have to see it.
David Hoheisel

Pro Staff
IceFishOhio.com
Jason Mitchell Rods
Clam
Vexilar
GrandPa Bob's Crappie Jigs
Jammin Jigs

ratherbefishing

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
See Northland's new Video in Ice Fishing Videos Thread!!!
Good Fishin'

Ryan Kerns

Ice Fish Ohio Pro Staff
Vexilar Pro Staff
Clam Pro Staff

Ask me about:
Ice Safety
Vexilar Flashers
Lake St. Clair
Canadian Fishing
C.J. Brown
Indian Lake
Panfish
Walleye
Saugeye

davek

• Dave Brett Dan
    • View Profile
Thanks Ratherbe thought i had my arsenal set but I have to get me some of these much to the missus dismay

Hillbilly

• View Profile
i also couldnt find any info on the fish trap, just the Moxie minnow.
Im am extremely interested in the fish trap. I do alot of vert jiggin with various blade baits, and really wanna try these out.
Check that, i did find the Live-Forage release, but still no specifics on sizes, patterns, weights ect for the fish trap.
I seldom get to excited over new baits, but i gotta admit, i have been droolin abit over these.

HB 8)
« Last Edit: November 27, 2010, 08:46:12 PM by Hillbilly »

wapak ice dawg

• PRO STAFF
    • View Profile
okay after some long checking I found the bait, doesn't seem to be hitting the market soon and I was at bass pro sat. I didn't see it there but it might have been. My favorite bait to use ice fishing is the vibe  "e" with the aid of the vexilar I wont leave home without either.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2010, 04:37:19 PM by wapak ice dawg »

ratherbefishing

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
They have sold the Mimic Minnow for a long time.
Good Fishin'

Ryan Kerns

Ice Fish Ohio Pro Staff
Vexilar Pro Staff
Clam Pro Staff

Ask me about:
Ice Safety
Vexilar Flashers
Lake St. Clair
Canadian Fishing
C.J. Brown
Indian Lake
Panfish
Walleye
Saugeye

davek

• Dave Brett Dan
    • View Profile
Got em guys our cabelas had ice fishing days this weekend they werent there thurs but i went today after dropping the boys off at Sunday School and there were about 20 hidden low on a shelf, they didnt have a full asst of color thank goodness but i got a half dozen hopefully well be on ice tomorrow or tuesday ill let you know  how we do be safe Dave

davek

• Dave Brett Dan
    • View Profile
I got a chance to use the fish traps today,we were fishing 30-35 foot of water for about 4 hours, threw everything we had at them, got one little bite after marking fish all day. we did notice when I went to the minnow trap the fish would really come in I even spent about 10 minutes slowly bringing one up 15 feet with a fish following but no bite using the 2 inch Glow redtail. When i took the fish trap out of the water and went to a pimple or spoon or even  a jig rap we would lose the fish, as soon as i dropped the minnow trap back in the fish would move back in did this several times over the 4 hours with the same result each time, the fish would stay as long as i worked it and leave when i would quit, tried tipping them with waxies no luck. They seem to work hopefully it was just an off day for the bite. I also used the 3 inch Glow Dace chub with the same result. If anyone else figures something out let me please let me know I do believe it is a good addition to your arsenal. Dave

ratherbefishing

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
The lure seems to be living up to the billing. The action bringing them in and the look getting them to stick around sounds like a good sign! Please keep us updated on the performance from time to time.

I'm glad you're getting out!
Good Fishin'

Ryan Kerns

Ice Fish Ohio Pro Staff
Vexilar Pro Staff
Clam Pro Staff

Ask me about:
Ice Safety
Vexilar Flashers
Lake St. Clair
Canadian Fishing
C.J. Brown