Ice Fish Ohio Forum

anyone...anyone???

1977walleyeguy

• View Profile
OK....i have been watching this thread develop, figured i will chime in my two cents since the up ground was in my back yard for many yrs. Just to raise everyones awareness . The lakes map doesn't truly represent the true water levels. a few yrs back the division of water discovered slipping in the walls of the up ground, they decided to lower the water levels considerably to lesson the pressure against the walls and reduce the risk of a wall blowout. They will not repair the up ground, saying it would cost too much to repair and its never been used as an actual water supply, it was built as an experiment in up ground building. there was talk about draining it completely and breaching the walls, turning it into another marsh. But this has not happened, and i seriously doubt it will anytime soon. The div. of wildlife does not maintain it, belongs to the div of water.    Also div. of wildlife stopped the stocking program the following yr that the div of water lowered the levels.

The ice can be very,very weird out there, please use caution.

Keep in mind that there is a 10 bluegill, 10 crappie limit and a bass slot length on killdeer plains and yes the up ground falls under this. 

I wish you all well, look forward to reading about your trip.

1977walleyeguy

• View Profile
I just looked at the states map, looks like they have updated it, and it does now more accurately represent water levels. sorry about that.

wballard77

• PRO STAFF
  • Wes Ballard
    • View Profile
Do you still live close to Killdeer? I live 45-50 min away and its hard for me to get up there to check it when i know that other waterways are safe. if i could find someone to tell me that its 5" at the ramp id be willing to check the rest myself with a spotter.
Ice Fish Ohio Pro Staff

fishintechnician

• PRO STAFF
  • IFO Prostaff
    • View Profile
maybe we can try and get togehter next weekend

1977walleyeguy

• View Profile
No i do not, i moved to bellevue back in april.
I am back in the area frequently, but have not been there in 3 weeks.

good luck guys

fishintechnician

• PRO STAFF
  • IFO Prostaff
    • View Profile
ballard i am about the same distance away as you. Would be nice to get a report on the ice then we couldget something going.

wballard77

• PRO STAFF
  • Wes Ballard
    • View Profile
ballard i am about the same distance away as you. Would be nice to get a report on the ice then we couldget something going.

Id like to give it “the old college try” next Sunday A.M. if it isn’t safe Pond 33 is and I hear it has some Bronco Gills! Wish I knew some one close to it!
Ice Fish Ohio Pro Staff

1977walleyeguy

• View Profile

Id like to give it “the old college try” next Sunday A.M. if it isn’t safe Pond 33 is and I hear it has some Bronco Gills! Wish I knew some one close to it!

And those bronco gills have the bronco parasites to go with it!  Can't remember the technical name, but the flesh of the fish will look like its been hit with a pepper shaker, and if your really lucky, when you clean them you will get to watch the white larvae stage crawl out of it.

Remember, muzzleloader season is this weekend, and thats a popular area.

good luck
« Last Edit: January 07, 2011, 09:44:50 PM by 1977walleyeguy »

wballard77

• PRO STAFF
  • Wes Ballard
    • View Profile
That’s good to know! I most likely wouldn’t keep it unless it was big enough to mount. But for the date I was thinking of the 16th  but man would that be a bad day on the ice if you got hit buy a stray 50. Cal. Sabot
Ice Fish Ohio Pro Staff

wballard77

• PRO STAFF
  • Wes Ballard
    • View Profile

wballard77

• PRO STAFF
  • Wes Ballard
    • View Profile

wballard77

• PRO STAFF
  • Wes Ballard
    • View Profile
People have been out on Killdeer!!!
I drilled a hole @ the ramp it was 8” thick @ 6‘deep.  However a pressure crack is forming close to the ramp area. The ice must be getting thicker because it sounds like a intergalactic war is going on.
Ice Fish Ohio Pro Staff

wballard77

• PRO STAFF
  • Wes Ballard
    • View Profile
Ice Fish Ohio Pro Staff

ndcocherl

• View Profile
So when is the fishing trip?? I live about 15 minutes from this water.  I would love to get into some perch, bluegill, or walleye there.  I have fishing it for years with minimal success every now and then i will pick 3 or 4 eyes... I would like to go when everyone else trys that way we can see what exactly is goin on under there... haha

fishintechnician

• PRO STAFF
  • IFO Prostaff
    • View Profile
i think I may be able to do this sun just got  anew vex last weekend and have only got to use it twice so far. I will let you know. If we don't do any good then we could check that pond. My wife knows if I go then it will be an all day affair. hahaha

Vexilar