Ice Fish Ohio Forum

Heater for Shack?

MichaelM · 21 · 16643

MichaelM

• View Profile
Trying to get the wife out with me this year. We just bought a brand new ice shack and now I'm ready to outfit it with a heater. I'm looking at some space heaters, but I honestly have no idea if I need to know anything about what kind of gas is better or how big I can get. The ice shack is just a 2-person, pretty small. I've been looking at some NewAir propane heaters (anyone tried these?) but I'm open to any selections and if anyone knows of other sales, let me know.

floater99

• View Profile
The buddy line of heaters work great.I think u can get fact remans fairly priced on e bay ?.I have a older coleman but would like a newer one myself
 comonsanta (vex also).

HardWater Junkie

• View Profile
    • Hale's Sinker Supply
I have the small buddy heater for my shanty and my opinion is that it is the best heater for ice fishing. You have to be careful with other heaters as the CO2 can build up and you never know it. The buddy heater has a auto shut off on it for if the levels get to high it shuts itself off. I fish 12 to 16 hrs. a day and it i use less then 2 1 lb tanks a day. You can get a refill adapter to refill your 1 lb bottles from a 20 lb tank. You save a lot of money on propane that way.I always just used a lantern for heat but I would get migraines. I have no problems now with my buddy heater. For your size shanty I would get this one. http://www.mrheater.com/ProductFamily.aspx?catid=41
Tim Smith (HardWaterJunkie)

Check out www.HalesSinkerSupply.com for all of your fishing sinker needs. Over 15 different types of sinkers and jigs in sizes from 1/100oz. to 4 lb. Make sure to ask about our custom built rods. From ice-fishing to off-shore we build them all. Message me for quotes

pig puncher

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
x 2 on the buddy heater. you can't beat 'em. ran mine on low all last season, and stayed plenty warm.

ratherbefishing

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
I like the buddy heaters as well, Banker has one and we used it in his shelter on Indian Lake last winter on a very cold day. We had to turn it off a couple of times and even open up the windows.
I use a slightly different set-up. I have a top mounted radiant heater that works great for me. Also made by Mr. Heater but only about half the cost. The trade-off is in the space that a larger tank will require. However, these can be mounted on a smaller tank and they are just as effective.
Good Fishin'

Ryan Kerns

Ice Fish Ohio Pro Staff
Vexilar Pro Staff
Clam Pro Staff

Ask me about:
Ice Safety
Vexilar Flashers
Lake St. Clair
Canadian Fishing
C.J. Brown
Indian Lake
Jason Mitchell Rods/Ice Armor by Clam
Panfish
Walleye
Saugeye

davidhoheisel

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Great Lakes Largemouth Series
Mr Buddy is the way to go.

Also, it's to late now but at the end of winter and early spring you can usually find them on clearance at walmart.
David Hoheisel

Pro Staff
IceFishOhio.com
Jason Mitchell Rods
Clam
Vexilar
GrandPa Bob's Crappie Jigs
Jammin Jigs

HardWater Junkie

• View Profile
    • Hale's Sinker Supply
I seen that Lowes is carrying them now. Theirs is black and yellow insead of black and red. Im not sure if Mr. Heater has changed there colors or if it is just for lowes but I liked the new colors. I think I remember them being 79.00 at lowes
Tim Smith (HardWaterJunkie)

Check out www.HalesSinkerSupply.com for all of your fishing sinker needs. Over 15 different types of sinkers and jigs in sizes from 1/100oz. to 4 lb. Make sure to ask about our custom built rods. From ice-fishing to off-shore we build them all. Message me for quotes

icebucketjohn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Yep, Mr. Buddy... consider NO OTHERS
« Last Edit: November 02, 2011, 10:48:54 AM by icebucketjohn »
We Ice Fisherman are all highly addicted, shivering psychotic patients in the frozen asylum of the frigid"

davek

• Dave Brett Dan
    • View Profile

mikeL

• View Profile
Yep, Mr. Buddy... consider NO OTHERS
i would really recommend the buddy heater. the co2 shut down is worth the extra.
Pro staff

1977walleyeguy

• View Profile
MR. Buddy....just like the rest of the fellas here.

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
I've had my Mr. Heater Buddy heater for 5 years and love it.  I used to use the lantern also, but would break globes sometimes and it was a pain.  The Buddy is the only way to go.  Saves so mush space in the shanty, and also the back stays cool, so you can put the back of the heater against the shanty and it won't melt your shanty fabric. :)
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

snowcone

• Global Moderator
  • here fishey
    • View Profile
yes , i have both buddys, the large has a blower fan and it will run you out   hahah,,,   so normally i use the small one the most, works great   ;D
the time you spend fishing cannot be deducted from your life...

Optfish

• Trout from Antrim
    • View Profile
Just a Question about safety shut off when co2 levels get low.  Has anyone seen it shut down?  I would like to know that it works.

erierider

• Global Moderator
  • I have a Chubby!
    • View Profile
Opt,
Mine shut off one day when I was having issue getting my frozen truck bed cover back on my truck. The cover needed to be warmed up a little. So I put the cover on as far as I could, closed the tailgate and let it warm up. I came back and it shut off due to the space being pretty confined and it getting heated up and using up the oxygen in the air. It worked fine but honestly it never shut off in the shanty. I think it would take a very long time to do that as the space is pretty large. Plus in mine, I know there are a few spots that air is able to leak in. If it is a concern you can always get a little vent put into the shanty or like most store bought shanties they usually have one built in. All in all my buddy heater can't be beat as far as reliabilty, ease of use, safety and heating.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2013, 01:37:52 PM by erierider »
Ice Fish Ohio
Pro Staff
Team Dreamweaver Spoons
Orange Crush Reef Runner Troller

Vexilar