Ice Fish Ohio Forum

Walleye!

Jawjacker12

• View Profile
I fish the Maumee on a regular basis and the braided line SUCKS. I wish that they would ban that stuff in the rivers.

1BigIcehole

• View Profile
Fisher 19,
Right you are about the braid! It sucks especially later in the season when there is more in the rocks from breakoffs.
All you need is 8lb low stretch good abrasion resisstant line and you can hawl in the 20lb carp.
The Carolina rig is the way to go for most guys, it covers more surface area with the floating jig anywhere from 24 -48" below weight.
JM add your thoughts on colors, I dont get into changing colors, I've used bright orange head and chartreuse metal flake 3" twister tail for years now.These two colors are what eyes see best but the water is always muddy and you are just trying to float you jig down into a yawning eyes mouth.
It is a great time as long as you are in a good group of guys that know what they are doing. other times it gets frustrating as hell.
Hopefully when they get cranking you can hook up with JM or me.

jmsteele187

• View Profile
The first year I fished the walleye run, I was spooled up with 12lb. mono and broke off every fish I hooked into. A week later I hit the river with braid, and hauled in quite a few eyes. Then last year I tried that stren 832 braid, and it casts twice as far as mono. That's why I like the braid. As far as getting snagged, I use an 8 to 10lb. mono leader. If I get snagged, I lose just a jig head. You guys are right about all the line in the water though. I think most guys try to break off as soon as they get snagged. I try to get the snag loose by pulling the line taught, and then pop open the bail on my reel. 9 times out of 10, it comes loose and I don't have to worry about breaking it off too much.
Color? Use any color you like, as long as it's chartreuse. I like to use Berkeley powerbait grubs in fire tiger or christmas lights. The sunkist color does pretty good too I hear. Also, glow colors are getting popular.

davidhoheisel

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Great Lakes Largemouth Series
Keep us posted when they start and i would like to come up.
David Hoheisel

Pro Staff
IceFishOhio.com
Jason Mitchell Rods
Clam
Vexilar
GrandPa Bob's Crappie Jigs
Jammin Jigs

jumpy

• View Profile
    • www.buckeyefishingcharters.com
The water is going to come way up after all this rain. My buddy lives on the river...he said it is very dirty and getting higher. I grew up a few miles from one of the best spots, I would be happy to share some knowledge. [email protected]
If you jig it they will come!

jmsteele187

• View Profile
Dave,
The walleye are just getting started. In the next week or so, the fishing should really pick up. The river should have risen a couple of feet today, which should bring in some fish from the lake. If the weather is alright, I might try to get out this Sunday.

Jumpy,
What spots do you like to hit the most? I don't expect you to give up you honey hole or anything, but maybe a general area. I tend to stay on the perrysburg side of the river. The maumee side, just feels like fishing backwards.

jumpy

• View Profile
I agree. I don't like to fish from Maumee side. I started fishing the run in 82 and always fish the same side. My spot changes depending on water level. 

derbium

• View Profile
I've never done this, but I am thinking about heading over there this weekend if the reports are looking good. Anybody going to be around and willing to share some info with me?

jmsteele187

• View Profile
I'm hoping to get out this Sunday, as long as the weather holds out. The fishing is picking up more and more each day. With the rain and snow we got over the weekend, and the warming trend this week, fishing should be pretty good this weekend. However, my furnace has taken another shit on me, and I'm not sure what will be going on just yet.

MDBuckeye

• View Profile
I've never fished it either but have wanted to for years, just to see what combat fishing is all about...  I may try and get out up there sometime during the run.

jumpy

• View Profile
Well it is always a good time. I hope you guys nail them. I'm waiting for water temps to come back up. Let us know how you do...

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
I may try it on Friday, depending on my work schedule.  If I can go, I'll let everyone know tomorrow night.
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

derbium

• View Profile
Slab, if you are interested we are planning to go sunday from hartville. let me know.

jmsteele187

• View Profile
I might be headed out on Sunday morning. I'm just ten minutes from the maumee river. If any of you guys want to hook up, shoot me a message.

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
This weekend just went to crap.  Friend of my wife's is bringing her car over here for me to fix.  Thought it was going to be in 2 weeks, but things changed and it's this weekend.  If I get done on Sat, I'll pm you.  But I tend to doubt it, as she's not coming until after 7 in the p.m.  If I can't make it, catch some nice 'eyes for me!!  ;D
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

Vexilar