Ice Fish Ohio Forum

Walleye!

jmsteele187

• View Profile
I just read that the first walleye of the season, we're pulled from the maumee yesterday.

1BigIcehole

• View Profile
from which section of the river? I hit bluegrass yesterday morning and didn't get a scale.

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Woohoo!!!  That's what we want to hear.  I'm working in Cleveland, so maybe I can sneak over there one day when I get done early.  Since ice season's a bust, bring on the soft water!
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

jmsteele187

• View Profile
Icehole, the post I read said that the first jack was seen coming from sidecut park off bluegrass. Probably not to far from where you were. I imagine the action will be a bit slow for the next week or two. I thought about getting up early this morning to go out, but I think I'll wait till there's more than one confirmed fish. Here are a couple of links to the two sites I watch during the walleye run; http://walleyerun.blogspot.com/ ; http://www.maumeetackle.net/riverupdate.html

Slab, I don't know how long you're working in cleavland, but since the walleye run is just getting started ( and will probably be slow fishing for a couple weeks still ) I would try my luck fishing for the steelhead out there. They should be in the rivers there for at least another month, if not two.

1BigIcehole

• View Profile
JM,
I think the water was a little cool yet, tried in the AM need to wait till afternoon to get water up a couple of degrees.
I will hit it a couple times this week and see if I can find them.
The water looked great, good flow and clarity!

jmsteele187

• View Profile
Icehole,
I'm usually free on Sunday's if you ever want to meet up and hit the river.  This will only be my third year fishing the walleye run. I know all the spots to fish, and even have a few favorite spots. But after getting completely skunked last year, and feel there is a whole lot more to learn about that river.

1BigIcehole

• View Profile
JM,
that sounds like a plan, I have been fishin the run since 2001 and am always looking to learn more about the river and share what I have learned about the river.
PM me and we can hook up to slay some eyes.

jmsteele187

• View Profile
There were a few more confirmed catches this week. I've heard that there haven't been very many guys out giving it a try. I wonder how many fish are really in the river right now.

slabslayer

• Administrator
    • View Profile
I'm going to be working in Cleveland area for the next 5-6 months.  Once the run gets going, wouldn't mind getting in on some of the action.  Never fished the river walleye run, usually too busy to get up that far with work, but now I'm working right there!
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

jmsteele187

• View Profile
Slab,
When the run starts to really turn on, I'll let you know. That way you don't have to drive 2 hours just to waist your time not catching anything.

MDBuckeye

• View Profile
I've read reports of BIG females being caught out north of the cans and Cone reef when they are able to get out and the water hasn't been to dirty.  I would bet they aren't to far off if the weather turns around just a little.

slabslayer

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Thanks.  Please keep me posted, I'd really appreciate it!

Team Wilcraft!

HardWater Junkie

• View Profile
    • Hale's Sinker Supply
Ive never really river fished for walleye during the run. What kind of setups do you guys use. rods,reels,line and tackle and lures? What rivers do you all normally fish? I'm really curious about this and would like to try it. I talked to a friend of mine who has been fishing the Ohio River and he has been doing very well on the walleye and saugers. He said his biggest walleye was 28 and average 24 and the saugers were averaging 18 inchs. Im not sure exactly where he has been fishing but I can find out.
Tim Smith (HardWaterJunkie)

Check out www.HalesSinkerSupply.com for all of your fishing sinker needs. Over 15 different types of sinkers and jigs in sizes from 1/100oz. to 4 lb. Make sure to ask about our custom built rods. From ice-fishing to off-shore we build them all. Message me for quotes

jmsteele187

• View Profile
I fish the mighty Maumee river for walleye. During the run there are special restrictions on tackle. Only one hook can be used (no treble hooks), and the gap cannot be larger than a 1/2 inch. Most guys use M-MH spinning gear with 20-30 lb. braid. From there you can go one of two ways. The first, is to tie on a lead head jig and a 3" twister tail. The second is kind of a modified Carolina rig. You tie on a trolling weight (an elongated sinker with swivels on both ends), to the other end of the weight you tie on a leader (2-6ft). Then a floating jig head and twister tail. You just cast it out, let it hit bottom and retrieve slowly. Most guy wade out in the river, but small boats are pretty common too.

OhioFisher19

• Global Moderator
  • More Fishin' Less Talkin'
    • View Profile
    • Ohio Outdoors
I will just say I will never use braid in the river. I fish the run a couple times a week in the sandusky and maumee and the maumee is the worst for snags depending on the spot. When you have braid you find yourself yanking like a SOB to get it off the snag, can easily break a rod, and when you do get snagged you create a mess in the water for the rest of the mono guys. Thats just me though. The run is normally a great time whether the fish are there or not!
TEAM IFO Pro Staff
CYA On The Water,
Capt. Jonny Fickert
 "Fishing and Fun with Jonny Fickert"

Vexilar