Ice Fish Ohio Forum

CJ ice check 1/22

fshman_165

• View Profile
Took a 2 hour lunch and checked the ice in a few areas around the lake. The recent snow was pushed by the wind into the marina and along the Southeast/East side of the lake. There are now more drifts against the docks. This has not allowed the ice to thicken more than another half inch anywhere drifts are found. The ice out on the main lake varies from 2.5 inches to above 7 inches. The main lake had large open areas towards the campgrounds on Monday. They are now frozen, but cant be more than 2 inches thick. I am going to go back into the marina and shovel some areas around the docks to allow safer access to the marina bays (it will let them freeze up nicely). My suggestion is to be REALLY careful if you are going to go out in the next 2 days (tie off etc.) I found spots near the marina arms that had 7 inches of ice with 2 inches of white ice RIGHT next to them. I actually found 2 good paths onto the main lake and will be keeping those a secret for now ;D I will go out and test some more spots tomorrow and post my findings.

Green Pea

• View Profile
Thank you for keeping us informed. I bought my first flasher ...Marcum LX5 so I'm dying to get out an use it. I am hoping to find a safe place this weekend. I hope to run into you and Marc again and chase some walleye around the lake.

lowellhturner

• View Profile
Green Pea, will you be out Sunday ? If so enjoyed the company...

fshman_165

• View Profile
Ran a check this morning..most spots added about 2 inches last night. The spots I shoveled added just under 2 inches...problem is...it snowed again last night and has drifted back up on the 3 docks I cleaned. I checked the ice under some drifted snow and it has only added about another .5 inch...so be carefull. Looks like the coldest weather is next week...I have seen 16 to 18 inches on CJ in the past...with the cold they are forecasting for the next 10 days...I am willing to bet we will have 15+ inches on most of the lake...that kind of ice lasts into March..back in the good old days ice would break up in mid March (they had to hold the nets  a few times till after March 20Th) and we would have a good walleye run along the Dam into the first week of April. Its looking good for us. Ice that thick can handle a strong warm spell and still be solid. I will be out later today fishing the main lake and out all of tomorrow.

IceLover

• View Profile
Hey is anyone going out the marina to the main lake yet?
I asked because I'm not sure of the "marina arms" that are mentioned.
Plan on being there sat and sun if anyone cares to venture.
I "think" it should be ok but will have a safety rope with me.
Have fun ...BE SAFE ...live to brag about your fish.

lowellhturner

• View Profile
Icelover, will be out Sunday, but have no auger. Wanted to try  the main boat ramp area: close to parking, semi sheltered from a SW wind and has early semi shading  this time of yr on the "C" trees there...

xtown icer

• View Profile
I'd be really interested in knowing what the ice is like walking off the state ramp as well. That's been a pretty good crappie area for me in the past. I suspect it should be good but I'd be really careful about getting too close to the polls.

fshman_165

• View Profile
Funny you asked..the MBR area had some spotty ice 2 days ago...I was planning on checking that tonight..I found ice between 2 and 5.5 inches. On Monday there was some open water from the drainage pipe heading northeast. I would imagine that everything NOT under a snow drift has added 3 or more inches since I checked it last. Will post my findings later.

lowellhturner

• View Profile
WELL, sir, there`s only 1 way to really "find out"...

lowellhturner

• View Profile
xtown icer, do you have a set of "cat`s claws` and a 50` rope? I do not have an auger yet...BUT I DO know the lake !

fshman_165

• View Profile
Icelover: There was open water on Sunday in a 15ft swath from the tip of one breakwall arm in the marine to the other. This is a traditional route used to get out to the main lake. The ice was just over 3 inches in that spot today (a little thin yet). The problem is there were large areas of water that were kept open by geese about 150 to 200 yards straight out from the marina channel. They closed up Tuesday night. In this cold, they MAY be about 3 to 4 inches now. I will be running parts of the main lake tomorrow and can give an idea of what is like out there later tomorrow night.

xtown icer

• View Profile
Lowell Don't have any cat claws but I do have a friend that will be at the other end of that 50 foot rope. Plan on being there Sunday AM. I'll have a black pop up and should be in that area if the ice will let me. If the ice is bad I'll be in the marina with everyone else.

IceLover

• View Profile
Lowell
I have auger rope and spikes and claws
I need a safety man and we will check it as we go
All welcome that wants to go
We will do it safely and when we have that warm fuzzy we will set tip ups
And shanties and get the grill going
Can't wait

bruce136

• View Profile
What day is everyone planning on getting out?

Vexilar