Ice Fish Ohio Forum

What Shanty do you like?

davidhoheisel

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Great Lakes Largemouth Series
We would like to see your set up! I will get a picture of mine very soon.

David Hoheisel

Pro Staff
IceFish0hio.com
Jason Mitchell Rods
Clam
Hat Cam

David Hoheisel

Pro Staff
IceFishOhio.com
Jason Mitchell Rods
Clam
Vexilar
GrandPa Bob's Crappie Jigs
Jammin Jigs

joshua

• View Profile
i just got a frabill ultra lite yesterday for $100 its a one man flip-over. i like flip-overs because you can have them half open on nice days or all the way closed on cold days and turn on your heater and its like sitting at home fishing in your floor. lots of room for a one man. will try and post pics later

Phil Carver

• View Profile
I currently am using a Clam Corp Fish Trap Guide.

The 3 top things that I like about this shanty.
I like the seats, they are very confortable.
Good storage areas for all your gear.
Better leg room than other shanties.

The 3 things that I dislike about the shanty.
Very heavy making it hard to pull.
Having to access from the front of the shanty.
Bottom air draft.

Banker

• Global Moderator
  • With God, All things are possible. Matthew 19:26
    • View Profile
    • www.iceprofromohio.com
I have a Clam Corp 2000 that I purchased for $179 last year. I like the roominess of it as I can stand up am I am 6' 2". I was hoping tobe able to sight fish however and the blue isn't dark enough to see down the hole. I am in the market for a small black flip over less than $100 to add to my arsenal. The big blue clam corp is good for 2 and even for one big guy (me) but I really want to sight fish.
Scott Albrecht
"Banker"
www.iceprofromohio.com

John 21:6 He said, "Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some."

let it freeze

• View Profile
I have the clam scout.The only thing Idon't like about it is the seat is off to the side.I tried to move it to the middle but than my bucket won't fit.So I had to put it back to the side.Other than that its great.

OhioFisher19

• Global Moderator
  • More Fishin' Less Talkin'
    • View Profile
    • Ohio Outdoors
One of mine just got hit by a semi tonight :(
TEAM IFO Pro Staff
CYA On The Water,
Capt. Jonny Fickert
 "Fishing and Fun with Jonny Fickert"

bassmastermjb

• View Profile
I sell nothing but Eskimos. I got away from the Clam products 3 years ago once they were completely made in China. They're not well made and their design needs tweeked, too much air draft coming in from the outside on their flipovers. If you find they are too heavy, take the factory seats out and it'll save you 1/2 the weight your pulling.Take an ordinary folding lounge chair to sit on and you'll be more comfortable in the shanty.................Mark

fishintechnician

• PRO STAFF
  • IFO Prostaff
    • View Profile
I'm actually looking for a frabill trekker dlx likwe the looks of it not tooo heavy extra thick material now my only problem is finding a retailer can anyone help me out

turkeyneck003

• View Profile
just bought a used viking today $75.00 .....nothing fancy.... but made in usa...
Gaff its not just for chicken...

icebucketjohn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
 Clam Nanook is my new shanty.

The last 2 seasons, I had an old canvas 1-man Feffercorn Shanty built in the 1970's.  (Think they went out of biz in the early 70's).  Sold it towards the end of last season. Great and servicable unit.

During my youth, I built 3 shanties.. 1-man, 2-man and a 3 man.  Put them to bon=fire in the back yard about 4 years ago.

My budget says CLAM, but my desires say ESKIMO
We Ice Fisherman are all highly addicted, shivering psychotic patients in the frozen asylum of the frigid"

Banker

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • www.iceprofromohio.com
Yesterday I upgraded to a Frabill Refuge after selling my Clam Corp 2000. These two units, the 2000 and Refuge compete for the same buyers as they are both suitcase style shanties marketed fairly well to those of us who don't own trucks and have to have enough trunk room for our shanties. The refuge is much more expensive than the Clam. By almost $100. I set it up yesterday in my kitchen, dispite having more room (can fish up to 3) and being black (potential for sight fishing) is essentially the same as The Clam Corp 2000. Actually, setting up the refuge is more difficult with a 6 pole system that stacks up to about 6'2'' in height. And the carpeting in the Clam Corp 2000 seems more sustainable. (frabill's floor reminds me of paper mache) Will test on the ice on Jan 8th. Breaking it down is just as easy as the Clam Corp 2000.
Scott Albrecht
"Banker"
www.iceprofromohio.com

John 21:6 He said, "Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some."

HardWater Junkie

• View Profile
    • Hale's Sinker Supply
Im curious to how the refuge will work out. That is the same shanty I want to get. How long does it take to set up and take down?
Tim Smith (HardWaterJunkie)

Check out www.HalesSinkerSupply.com for all of your fishing sinker needs. Over 15 different types of sinkers and jigs in sizes from 1/100oz. to 4 lb. Make sure to ask about our custom built rods. From ice-fishing to off-shore we build them all. Message me for quotes

Banker

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • www.iceprofromohio.com
I had it set up in about 5 minutes and down in 2 minutes. Set up takes longer because you basically build the top brackets with 6 polesthey provide you with.
Scott Albrecht
"Banker"
www.iceprofromohio.com

Bigpapa

• View Profile
Eskimo quickfish2. Fast light and durable, set up,take down in seconds, throw it in the sled an go! My buddy just bought a clam hub style 3 man, and the quality is poor at best. He has pin holes you can actually look through and has only used it once :-[. The buckles that you stake it down with broke on the first outing, and screw in ice anchors are terrible. He actually borrowed mine  from my Eskimo on sunday to tie the guy lines on in the wind to keep it from collapsing in :-\. Eskimo has a quality product, but if you can find a clam that is a couple of seasons old, buy it, it's better quality than the product there putting out now. Just my two cents.

Phil Carver

• View Profile
I currently have a Clam Fish Trap Guide. I like the overall comfort when sitting in the shanty. The sled has room for all of my gear to be stored in it. I can place my rods in the under seat storage and they stay pretty safe. I do not care for the access to enter and exit. The shanty is as others have said is heavy. I made a set of conduit runners for mine and it pulls very easy now. I am willing to part with this shanty at this time.

I plan on purchasing a Shapell DX4000 in the future. There is a ton of room in this model. The only thing that I do not like so far is the fact that you will fish facing who ever is in the shanty with you. May not be as bad as I think though.

Vexilar